The Best Ways to Advertise Online for Small Businesses
Growing your business is easier than ever before in today’s world due to the recent emergence of digital marketing. In the past, advertising entailed expensive costs for printing, mailing, and distributing information to potential customers. But in today’s world, this has drastically changed! Here are the 4 most popular ways small business owners are turning to advertise their business in 2018:
Modern digital marketing leverages advanced data to target specific groups of customers. Although data-driven marketing used to require specialized knowledge, a wide range of platforms have emerged to help small businesses apply data analytics to achieve exceptional results. Making use of digital marketing can help your business to reach targeted groups of customers in a cost-effective way.
With over 2.2 billion people using Facebook every month, the world’s most popular social media website is a great place to find customers. Facebook enables you to establish a profile for your business using a simple interface. You can make posts on Facebook at no cost, and customers who follow your channel will see your content. If you publish excellent content, Facebook’s news feed algorithm will reward your business with high visibility.
You can also pay to promote your business on Facebook using the website’s advertising platform. Facebook makes it simple to choose segments of customers to target using an intuitive interface. As with most forms of marketing, you will attract more customers when you increase the budget that you allocate for your campaign.
Pros of Facebook
- Attract customers at no cost.
- Your Facebook posts will appear on search engines.
- Facebook advertising is simple.
Cons of Facebook
- Establishing a significant following can take a lot of time.
- Posting on a regular basis is necessary.
- Algorithm updates tend to increase the difficulty of advertising on Facebook.
Advertising on Google
Almost everyone in the world uses Google every day to find information online. Content that you post on your website or other online platforms will appear on Google in most cases. You do not have to pay any money for your content to appear on Google’s search engine results pages.
You can also pay to promote your content on Google, and paid advertisements can yield a return on investment for most businesses. The learning curve for effective advertising on Google is steep, but you can generate a majority of your business from Google when you understand how to use it in the right way.
Pros of Advertising on Google
- Google can attract a large customer base.
- Organic marketing on Google can be used at no cost.
- Google AdWords enables precise targeting using an advanced interface.
Cons of Advertising on Google
- The competition on Google continues to grow.
- Periodic algorithm updates can lead to unstable revenue.
- Google has a broad range of restrictions that can reduce the effectiveness of your advertising efforts.
Yahoo offers a pay-per-click marketing program that small businesses can use to attract customers. Advertisements purchased through Yahoo can appear on the email and search engine platforms that Yahoo offers. Although Google has a majority of the market share, the competition can be lower when you use Yahoo in some cases.
Pros of Yahoo Advertising
- Yahoo has less restrictions than Google for advertisers.
- Since Bing and Yahoo work together, advertising on Yahoo makes it easy to advertise on Bing.
- Advertisements on Yahoo can be cheaper than on Google.
Cons of Yahoo Advertising
- Scaling a campaign is challenging on Yahoo due to a small user base.
- The necessity of targeting small niches on Yahoo means setting up campaigns can take extra time.
- Yahoo’s platform for small businesses offers less features than similar services available from Google or Bing.
Email marketing gives you precise targeting and customers who are excited about learning what you have to offer. Although you will have to invest significant effort to get a customer to sign up for your mailing list, customers who choose to sign up will be more loyal to your brand and respond to promotions in a positive way. In general, email marketing offers a high return on investment for businesses that put in the effort necessary for success.
Pros of Email Marketing
- Mailing lists build strong customer relationships, so email marketing can increase the valuation of your business.
- Inexpensive platforms are available for creating content and managing subscriber lists.
- Email marketing yields high return on investment when it is done right.
Cons of Email Marketing
- Getting customers to subscribe to your mailing list can be challenging.
- Customers will unsubscribe if your content does not add value.
- Building high-quality content for email marketing can require considerable time.
Instagram is a new social media channel that many businesses are using to successfully find customers. Since Instagram is still relatively new, competition is low on this social media platform. Instagram is especially effective if you have a product or service that you can demonstrate using images.
Pros of Instagram
- Instagram is still growing, so businesses that get established on Instagram today can enjoy greater exposure in the future.
- You can market on Instagram at no cost.
- Getting started on Instagram is as simple as opening an account with an email address.
Cons of Instagram
- A sizeable portion of your customers are not using Instagram.
- Marketing on Instagram is difficult when you do not have high-quality images.
- Keeping your Instagram feed updated requires time.